What is Main Street of Perry?
Am I a Main Street Business?
How is Main Street of Perry funded?
How are the funds appropriated?
Who benefits from a successful Main Street program and how?
What benefits does Main Street of Perry Offer to businesses?
How do I get involved?
What is on the horizon?
How is Main Street different from other Local Nonprofits including the Chamber of Commerce?
Why should I support and participate in Main Street events, my business isn't downtown?
Main Street of Perry is a nonprofit organization that seeks to revitalize all aspects of our downtown business district, producing both tangible and intangible benefits. The Mission of Main Street is to improve the quality of life in the City of Perry by strengthening the downtown area as the center of the community using the comprehensive approach of design, economic restructuring, organization, and promotion. Downtown Perry is the cultural and economic heart of the community. We can all be a vital part of history in the making as Main Street of Perry strives to energize the downtown economy while preserving the unique, historical character of Perry.
Main Street Businesses are those businesses located within the Main Street District. Please see the Main Street District Map for detailed boundaries or call the Main Street Office for more information. If you aren't within the district boundaries don't worry, you can still participate in Main Street Promotional events and advertise in the citywide Perry Planner! What helps downtown, helps the whole town.
Main Street of Perry is a locally driven and thus, locally funded, program. Every dollar into Main Street is a dollar into the Perry community. Our financial support comes from the City of Perry, and community donations collected during our Annual Fund Drive, the Annual Golf Tournament and through sales of the Perry Planner. To contribute to the Main Street of Perry Program please see our Donation Page. Main Street of Perry would like to thank all those who donate to and support our cause!
The Main Street of Perry budget is allocated to the committees that correspond to the four points of the Main Street program, Design, Organization, Economic Restructuring and Promotion, as well as administrative and office costs. For more information about these committees and their activities see each committee page (Design Committee, Organization Committee, Economic Restructuring Committee and Promotion Committee).
- Local residents/Consumers
- Enhanced marketplace (better shopping and the benefits of shopping locally)
- Sense of pride in the downtown
- More social/cultural activities
- Sense of hometown/community
- Historical awareness (preservation of architectural and human history)
- Tax dollars stay in the community
- Opportunity to make a difference personally by participating as a volunteer. (community pride)
- Better communication between businesses, consumers/community and the city, through the newsletter and other Main Street Liaison services.
- Home values increase.
- Property Owners
- Increased occupancy rates
- Increase in rents or stability of rents
- Increased property values
- Reduced vandalism/crime
- Assistance with tax credits, grants, loan-programs and design
- Retail Business Owners
- Increased traffic and sales
- Better business mix
- Increased value of business
- Quality of business life
- Educational opportunities (seminars and workshops offered)
- District marketing strategies (promotion and advertising)
- New market groups downtown
- Community pride
- A vehicle to have the needs and issues of downtown addressed
- Have representative that is connected to City Hall
- Service Business Owners
- Increased variety of services
- Healthier economy generates new/more business
- Improved competition means more aggressive business styles
- Financial Institutions
- Potential for loans, deposits and other services (bank cards, financial services
- Central location is more cost effective
- Community Reinvestment Act (Federal Government requirement)
- Survival of community is critical to bank success and economic stability.
- Additional businesses
- Longer business hours
- Healthy businesses feel freer to increase utility usage
- Healthy economy causes community growth.
- More employees
- City Government
- Increased tax base
- Increased number of jobs
- Increased property values
- Positive perception of downtown and community
- Increased volunteer base for the City
- Impetus for public improvements
- Better relations between City Hall and private sector
Main Street offers free business consultation services, façade and building improvement/restoration assistance and economic benefits to all businesses in the Main Street of Perry District. To see a list of the services offered and to find out how you can take advantage of these important benefits please see our Business Resources Page or come by the Main Street Office for a Main Street of Perry Business Handbook.
Main Street of Perry runs on volunteers and we need your help! Anyone can volunteer and all of our volunteer positions are tailored to fit your interest in Main Street. We would love to have you visit with us or even sit in on a committee meeting to see what area you might be most interested in. The three main ways to volunteer are: General Volunteer, Committee Member and Member of the Board of Directors. To find out more about each of these positions please see our Volunteer Page and fill out the Volunteer Application, or come by the Main Street Office for a Volunteer Handbook.
In addition to the committee projects, Main Street of Perry has been hard at work to not only update and create a user friendly website, but also provide a "Virtual Main Street". The "Virtual Main Street" will allow visitors to view pictures of the historic downtown buildings along with a history of that building and its specifications. DeJager Web Designs and Economic Restructuring committee are hard at work making this a reality and we hope to have it available to the public in early 2012. LOOK FOR IT SOON!!!
Main Street is focused specifically on protecting and promoting the historic integrity of the downtown area of Perry through preserving its historic structures, building a strong economic base for the future and encouraging community involvement. Other Local Nonprofits have different topics of interest within the Perry community and the Chamber of Commerce concentrates on strengthening the community on much broader scale. Though Main Street is separate from other Local Nonprofits and the Chamber of Commerce, it continues to support their desire to strengthen and conserve the Perry community.
While Main Street of Perry's efforts are concentrated downtown, its services benefit the entire community. Having a strong downtown economic base strengthens the economic status of the entire area. Main Street works hard to create positive economic growth through incentive programs, providing discounted advertising, organizing sales and promotions to get customers into shops and offering economic statistics and consulting to businesses in the area. By participating in Main Street events, promotions and sales you are supporting your own business by supporting the whole town of Perry.