Oklahoma's 25th Annual Statewide Preservation Conference
Perry, "Queen City" of the Cherokee Outlet hosted this year's annual Statewide Preservation Conference June 5-7, 2013. Three concurrent tracks of sessions focused on the buildings, structures, sites, districts, objects and landscapes that provide a sense of orientation; a sense of place to Oklahomans.
Conference cosponsors include the State Historic Preservation Office, Oklahoma Historical Society, the Oklahoma Main Street Center, Oklahoma Department of Commerce; Preservation Oklahoma, Inc; Mainstreet of Perry; Cherokee Strip Museum; City of Perry; and Civic Organization Cooperative Effort.
Painting the Centennial Corp. Building
Main Street of Perry volunteers lead a cooperative effort on Tuesday, October 1st to paint the inside walls of the Centennial Corporation Building structure. The project was set in motion after Main Street of Perry applied for and received a paint grant from the “Keep Oklahoma Beautiful” program headquartered in Oklahoma City. We would like to extend a thank you to all of the volunteers that came ready to work and assist with the project.
Fresh Paint Days is a Keep Oklahoma Beautiful project designed to encourage volunteers to seek out unsightly community structures and renovate them with the creative use of resources. Willing volunteers will make use of paint, donated by H.I.S. Coatings of Oklahoma City and a stipend for supplies, funded by Public Service Company of Oklahoma to transform that community blemish over a period of a few days with just the application of FRESH PAINT and a lot of elbow grease!
Keep Oklahoma Beautiful will select the winning projects from among applications submitted with digital "before" photos. All winning projects must be painted within the same 30-day span. Participants will then submit digital "after" photos showing the transformation.
• Must use only the paint provided
• If project requires a primer - group must purchase with stipend
• Exterior projects only (downtown buildings, residences, schools, community buildings, wood fences, walls)
• Paint may not be used on metal structures.
• For safety reasons, projects may not include heavy traffic areas, highways or street
• Selected applicants may have up to 20 gallons of exterior latex paint, supplied only in 5 gallon drums and make certain that exterior latex paint is appropriate for use on your project....most metal surfaces require primer and oil-based paint for a good result.
• Of the colors available, as many as four different colors may be selected
• Color chips will be posted on these pages; however, to finalize paint selections, you may request color chips to be mailed to you
• Early birds get the colors. There will be a finite supply of each color - so the sooner you choose, the better your chance of getting the colors and amounts you want.
Selected Projects Receive
• Up to 20 gallons exterior latex paint
• $75 stipend for supplies
• Your paint delivered by KOB to locations convenient to all participants
• News releases from KOB to your local and county media
• Your project descriptions published to KOB website, Facebook